Waupaca County Fair Open Class Book

Animal Health

Page 1

Animal Health Rules and Regulations Summary

Animal Health Regulations for Fairs and Shows in Wisconsin: 2017 Season
PDF Download

This is a summary of animal health requirements for fairs, shows and exhibitions only. They are not necessarily the same as requirements for importing animals into Wisconsin or moving them within the state for other purposes. They may change if animal diseases occur in Wisconsin or elsewhere, so you should always check our website or contact us for current information.

General requirements for show organizers

All fairs or exhibitions of any length must obtain, review, and keep for five years all required records and test results:

  • Exhibitor’s name and address
  • Animal identification (number, type, description)
  • Compliance with disease testing and other health requirements
  • Livestock premises number, if any, where animals originated
  • If requested by the fair or show organizer, the documentation showing legal importation (if applicable) and movement to the event

Fairs or exhibitions lasting more than 24 hours must appoint a licensed veterinarian to inspect all animals daily and review the above-required records.


Animals that show evidence of having contagious or infectious diseases may not be commingled (or housed/kept) with other animals at a fair, show, or other exhibition in such a way as to allow disease to spread. Such animals should not attend the fair, show, or exhibition.
Animals may be denied entry if they arrive at these events with contagious or infectious diseases, isolated and/or removed if they develop disease after arriving, or be subject to other action as would be necessary to control disease.

Bovine animals with ringworm, mange, warts or scab will be removed from the fair or exhibition premises, unless the veterinarian in charge finds warts or ringworm lesions are incapable of transmitting disease.

Cattle and bison

Cattle from within Wisconsin have no requirements for tests or health documents.

Cattle from outside Wisconsin must:

  • Be accompanied by certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) documenting official animal ID and all required tests and certifications
  • Have at least one form of official individual ID (including steers)
  • Meet all of Wisconsin’s normal requirements for import (see https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/CattleBison.aspx)

Acceptable animal IDs for all cattle from outside Wisconsin

  • USDA metal ear tag number that is part of the National Uniform Eartagging System (NUES) (starts with state 2-digit code, also known as “brite” tag); this includes the orange brucellosis vaccination tag
  • 15-digit “840” tags (visual or RFID)
  • Valid only if applied before March 11, 2015:
    • Manufacturer-coded RFID tag – 15-digit number with the first three digits in 900s
    • American ID tag – 8 to 12-digit number prefaced with “USA”

Brucellosis requirements for cattle from outside Wisconsin

No cattle from outside Wisconsin are currently required to be brucellosis-tested or vaccinated to come to fairs and shows in Wisconsin

Tuberculosis requirements for cattle from outside Wisconsin

For requirements by state, see: https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/CattleBison.aspx

Cattle from Michigan’s Modified Accredited Zone (for cattle from Michigan’s TB Free Zone, see requirements by state above) also need:

  • Import permit
  • To originate from a herd that has a negative whole-herd TB test within 12 months before arrival in Wisconsin that includes all animals 1 year and older
  • Negative individual TB tests within 60 days before entering Wisconsin
  • To return directly to the state of origin after the show, and there must be a statement on the CVI that they will be doing so

For information on obtaining an import permit:

Cattle from Canada must meet current federal requirements to enter the United States. (See http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/downloads/pro_imp_cattle-bison_can.pdf)

Requirements are subject to change as conditions warrant. For current information, check https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/CattleBison.aspx.


Swine from within Wisconsin need a Wisconsin intrastate movement certificate:

  • Stating that the herd of origin was inspected on the farm within 30 days before the show and showed no signs of disease

Swine from outside Wisconsin need a certificate of veterinary inspection that includes the following: a statement of the PEDv status of the herd of origin (if known), a statement of the PRRS status of the herd of origin (if known), a statement that the veterinarian has inspected the entire herd of origin within the past 30 days and that no apparent disease was present at the time of inspection, and official identification number

Acceptable methods of ID for swine are:

  • USDA silver ear tag
  • USDA 840 ear tag, either visual or RFID
  • Breed association tattoo if the pig is a purebred and the tattoo is registered
  • An ear tag with the premises identification number and a unique identifier
  • Ear notch (if the pig is a purebred and the notch is registered)

Requirements are subject to change as conditions warrant. For current information, check https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Programs_Services/SwineMovement.aspx.

Contact Us